ROASTED CAULIFLOWER SALAD WITH TAHINI DRESSING AND ALMONDS
Cold drinks, BBQs and delicious salads is what it's all about this time of the year. Having a great salad recipe as part of repertoire is very handy and will never fail to impress your guests.
We love cauliflower and I mean honestly, who doesn't? Cauliflower is one of those great vegetables that is hard to mess up, whether you mash it, roast it, steam it or just eat it fresh it tastes amazing.
And if you have been living under a rock and somehow managed to miss the magic that is Tahini, you are in for a treat! This stuff will change your life. If you are like us and thought it was only for making hummus, you are sorely mistaken. Tahini can be used in desserts, salad dressings, marinades, dips, pasta, baking, the possibilities are endless. It has a beautifully creamy, nutty flavour with a subtle hint of bitterness from the sesame seeds it is made from, perfectly balanced.
This salad ticks all the boxes, it is fresh, crunchy, creamy, filling and looks beautiful too. Serve it with Moroccan Lamb, smokey BBQ pork, grilled fish or just on its own. Toss it while it's still warm or serve it out of the fridge if you need to cook ahead.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
For the salad:
- 2 big handfuls of rocket, baby spinach, kale or your favourite leafy greens
- 1 head cauliflower, divided into bitesize florets
- 1/3 cup almonds (or your choice of nuts), chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 smoked paprika
- Olive oil and sea salt, for roasting
For the dressing:
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven to 180°.
2. On a large baking tray, spread out cauliflower florets evenly, sprinkle with garlic and chopped almonds. Drizzle with olive oil and season with sea salt, cumin and paprika. Mix well and place in oven and cook for 25-30 minutes until golden brown but still al-dente.
3. To make the Tahini dressing, combine tahini, lemon juice, water, sea salt and black pepper to taste and whisk to combine. Set aside.
4. Layer the salad ingredients including the greens, roasted cauliflower and almonds in a large bowl or on a platter. Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with parsley. Top with a few extra springs of parsley and slices of lemon.
SHOP THE LOOK:
Thanks to Elph Store for lending us some of their beautiful handmade pieces for this shoot.